Monday, August 30, 2010

Weekend Wanderings: New York City

This weekend was back to being busy, which was wonderful after last week's relaxing-but-not-quite-satisfying weekend at home. I met up with a friend from middle school, Jessie, for lunch on Friday, at the less-than-amazing Eden Wok in midtown, and after work headed back upstate to meet a slew of guests: Erica, Dave, James, Emily, and Cece. We made a lovely dinner of Welsh rarebit, salad, and tomato soup, and hung out for the evening, at one point trying to play Ouija, and ultimately deciding it wouldn't work, after the ghost told us we would miss eight trains the next morning.

Luckily, we didn't, and made the first one in plenty of time. We arrived in Grand Central with a steadfast itinerary and we kept to it like lint on a black shirt. First stop: Williamsburg. Erica is moving to New Zealand tomorrow, and had to drop her bags off, so we split up into two groups: the dropping off bags group and the knitting group. I recently decided to take up spinning, and wanted to go to the Yarn Tree to pick up a drop spindle and some roving (at the suggestion of my friend Christina, who runs her own etsy shop of beautiful homespun yarn). The Yarn Tree is absolutely wonderful, so if you have any interest in fiber or knitting and happen to be in Brooklyn, definitely take a trip over. While waiting to meet up with Dropping Off Bags, we wandered around a nice thrift store, and eventually went over to Caracas Arepa Bar. It was surprisingly empty, and the eight of us were seated immediately in the garden, which has an epic shrine to the Virgin Mary. The food was really good and the prices cheap, but the service was a bit slow. We wandered over for a "tour" of the Brooklyn Brewery post-lunch. I don't think I'd recommend this, because the tour, while funny and a little informative, was mostly just a rehashing of every other brewery in the world, and the bar is way, way too crowded for a Saturday afternoon. I've gone on Friday nights before, though, and it's great then. Also, Beacon's Closet, across the street is just wonderful. A quick walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, dinner at my favorite dumpling house, Vanessa's, and we were all completely tuckered out by the five plus miles we'd walked, so we headed home for the evening. I believe we did something once we got there, but I can't remember what it was now.

On Sunday, we were all set to go our separate ways, so we made a large brunch of hash browns (using Dave's mom's hint, "butter"), french toast (Zaro's recipe never fails me, it's just 4 eggs, 1 1/3 cup of milk, 1/2 tsp salt, 3 tbls sugar on challah bread that's been sliced and dried overnight), and this great peach lassi (Not Eating Out in NY). It's pretty rare that I'm satisfied with a meal I've made, and this one was fantastic. Many thanks to Roger, who woke up early and helped, bringing the meal to fruition. After that, we said our goodbyes as the boys headed to the city, Emily went home to Syracuse, and Cece and I went to our local mall, where we bought a few new clothes and I wanted to buy some Halloween decorations (and may yet - I have a thing for holiday decorations, the one place where I feel I can be as kitschy as my heart desires). I've been trying to move toward more sustainable shopping, but sometimes it's nice to wander around stores the way I did when I was a teenager. Then, it was home to try some spinning, which turned out to be easier than I expected. Hopefully, my yarn will become more even as I practice!

1 comment:

  1. I like how grumpy I look in every picture of me and Dave that exists.