Monday, November 8, 2010

Weekend Wanderings: The Vaguest Semblance of Productivity

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures from this weekend, because a good amount of it was spent inside, working. I'm glad to have had some productive time, and wish I could have had more, but I think it was a good jump-start for this week ahead. Friday night, I discovered, too late, that Shelby was in town for the evening, and since I was in the middle of writing an article, I had to decline drinks with her and Lauren. I spent most of the evening working on said article, and fell asleep early. Of course.

Saturday was slightly more interesting, with a wonderful Secor Deli breakfast of bacon, egg and cheese on a roll at Shelby's house. I've said it before, but I love catching up with her in the morning. I wish much more often than is normal that we lived within walking distance of each other again. I would certainly be more appreciative of it this time. She and her mother left to get their nails done, and I headed home to work on my second article for the weekend (I'll be honest and say that article 3 still hasn't gotten done), a little jealous of their mother-daughter manicure. As luck would have it, I prepared to run some errands, and my mother just happened to need to have her nails done for her annual hospital ball, so of course I went along with her and had one of my own. It was lovely.

That evening, we went to Roger's bosses' house, where they had a little going-away dinner party for our friend Chris Jones, who returns to London later this week. It was a long, fun evening, and we discovered many interesting factoids about each other, including the fact that Chris worked on one of Yinka Shonibare's projects. I left the house at 5:45 to give myself some extra time to pick up crafting supplies, and we didn't get back from dinner until 2am. I'd say that's a pretty solid dinner party.

The extra hour was a bit of a godsend on Sunday morning, though I ended up mainly using it for extra sleep, and not extra work. We went out for breakfast, and I went to Macy's to see if I could be reimbursed for shipping on those earrings, as the saleswoman had promised. They said they couldn't do anything about it, and that I should come back when the jewelry manager was there. On Tuesday. At 2pm. Not to be melodramatic, but I leave the house on Tuesday mornings at 6:30am, and I don't get back until 9:30pm. I can't make it to Macy's at 2pm to argue about a shipping charge. I can go back next Saturday, which is fine, but it was just one of those nice reminders that it's really difficult for working people to schedule things. Particularly when they commute 3.5 hours a day.

Luckily, the rest of the afternoon was spent cleaning (fresh laundry! newly made bed! clean dishes!), making soup, and working on applications. I'm now a bit further in my personal statement, have all three reviewers lined up, and am mostly finished with my portfolio. If only I knew for sure where I wanted to apply...

No comments:

Post a Comment