Monday, January 28, 2013

Weekend Wanderings: Snowy Days

This weekend went by much too fast!  On Thursday, I got together with two of my closest friends, who are constantly busy.  We were all randomly free that evening, and decided to try the new Todd English Food Hall for dinner.  Two of grabbed a drink at the Champagne Bar before heading downstairs for dinner, and I had a nice Moscato d'Asti.  We had originally decided to go to Todd English for the restaurant week special, but ended up just getting separate meals instead.  We split a prosciutto and fig pizza as an appetizer, which was wonderful.  I ordered the chestnut and duck ravioli, which was also fantastic, but so rich.  The atmosphere was very casual, and while the prices were a bit high, they weren't completely insane.  Sadly, the rest of the food hall was closed when we finished the meal, so we weren't able to get any of the treats there, but I would definitely go back to get a Luke's Lobster roll and some Billy's Bakery icebox cake.

On Friday night at the apartment, we hosted some of Roger's colleagues and one of the artists they'll be exhibiting later this year.  It snowed, but we still had a really great group of people trek in from Queens and Brooklyn.  We put together some appetizers quickly, and ordered a pizza from our neighborhood pizza shop, and I think everyone had a nice time doing a bit of out-of-office socializing.

 On Saturday, we headed to Jackrabbit to get Roger a pair of running shoes.  He's going to run the Boilermaker with me this summer, and so we decided that it warranted a fancy new pair of shoes.  I bought him the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13 as an early birthday present (very early - his birthday's in April), and we're hopeful that they'll provide the right amount of support as we both start running more.  We decided to walk home from the store, and started to walk along the park, which was gorgeous under a thin layer of snow.  It's been a long time since I've seen the snow I used to love as a kid, but even just a dusting makes me want to grab a sled.  Instead, we decided on the spur-of-the-moment to visit the Natural History Museum

It's one of my very favorite places in New York, especially the exhibit on New York ecology, but Roger had never been, so it was a fun way to spend the afternoon.  He was, of course, pretty appalled by the African peoples exhibit, but I think generally liked the rest of it.  I'd really love to see their exhibit on Our Global Kitchen, but at $19 for students, it's just a little bit expensive, so I'll likely have to skip it.  We headed back home for a bit and watched more Parks & Recreation, the latest show that we're obsessed with, and made a quick dinner of sandwiches.  Then, we headed to our friend Jamie's house for drinks, and to see Molly and Laura, who were in from out of town.  The whole motley crew of us headed to Swift Hibernian Lounge and spent the rest of the evening there.  It's a fun bar with a good beer list, so I'd definitely recommend it if you're searching for bars in SoHo. 

It was a late night for us, and we made it home around 3:45am, so of course, we stayed in bed late on Sunday.  I made a breakfast of blueberry pancakes, and we watched more Parks & Rec until finally heading to the gym and doing a bit of work in the evening.  Starting tomorrow, I'll be back in school, and I'm a bit nervous about losing my free time.  Still, I'm scheduling things closely and trying to keep on top of everything, so we'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment